Suggestions

TOPIC: Tasks: who asked for it ? who has to be informed ?

Tasks: who asked for it ? who has to be informed ? 13 years 7 months ago #2417

• nikomiko
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everyone.

i'm starting that thread because I'm sure I'm not the only one to have that problem. TR fills my requirements regarding my personnal organization. However, as I don't have the chance of being my own boss, I sometinmes have to report on some stuff that someone else have asked.

Typically :

- I might have to inform someone (say, my boss) on how things are going on avery stuff that he's been asking for the past months

- I take parts in some meetings where I have to inform colleagues on stuff that I work on

Eventually, I'd love to have a report that would extract that information ; but I don't know for a start how to tell TR :

1/ that this particular idea / task / project is a specific demand from Mr X
2/ that I intend to talk about this particular idea / task / project during next board meeting.

Any idea will be welcome.

Nicolas.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Tasks: who asked for it ? who has to be informed ? 13 years 7 months ago #2418

• Siddy
  • Gold Boarder
Good day,

Here are some ideas that might work.
1/ that this particular idea / task / project is a specific demand from Mr X
2/ that I intend to talk about this particular idea / task / project during next board meeting.

For #1, you can create a specific Context value that identifies it as something that needs to reported to a group or a person. You could also assign it as part of an ongoing (never ending) Project that you just capture all of the actions in.

For #2, If this is just a reminder, I would put it in my calendar as there is no specific action other than you are being reminded. Of course, you could always create an action to create a report and simply add the details of what needs to be reported on in the action notes or in another repository that the action points to.

One of the greatest things about TR is that it does not needlessly force you to use any one specific value or process. You can create your own using the fields that TR provides, provide specific values for those fields, and generate specific views on rules created by you to help you get your work done.

BEST OF LUCK!

Re:Tasks: who asked for it ? who has to be informed ? 13 years 7 months ago #2424

• nikomiko
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Siddy for taking some time to think about my issue !

I've tried your ideas, and it works only partially :

Consider the task "Orgnaize a meeting with X and Y to decide on blah-blah". This task is part of a greater project "A", as heaps of other tasks are.

But :

- this meeting has been asked for by Mr Boss, and I want to let him know about it. The rest of the project, he doesn't care about.
- I still have to "DO" the task when I'm at work with 10 minutes ahead.

Using a specific context or project, I will loose some information as my task cannot be in 2 contexts or projects.

I've read in that forum that some asked for tags, and that could do the trick as it would bring some more modularity / customization features to TR.

BTW, I agree on the fact that you don't HAVE to use all of TR fields. It would just be great to be able to define your own fields / tags / etc. to adapt TR to one's needs.

Nico.

Re:Tasks: who asked for it ? who has to be informed ? 13 years 7 months ago #2433

• Siddy
  • Gold Boarder
Nico,

I understand your needs perfectly as I am also in need of something similar you are looking for.

To that end, I started a thread asking for custom fields that users could determine what their meta values were. These would only be useful for reporting and would not be part of the overall GTD process. Here is a link to that forum thread. Feel free to give it a +1 or add your own thoughts to the suggested new function.

www.trgtd.com.au/index.php?option=com_ku...view&catid=8&id=2420

Re:Tasks: who asked for it ? who has to be informed ? 13 years 7 months ago #2465

It sounds like you're not making it granular enough.

The project might be "Have meeting to decide on blah-blah"

- Task : schedule meeting place and time
- Task : create agenda for meeting
- Tasks : Manage meeting attendance (see below)
- Task : Capture results of meeting
- Task : Distribute results of meeting

To manage meeting attendance you might need to have the following tasks for each person.

A "notify" task
A "get confirmation" task
A "give 24 hour reminder" task

So for 3 people, you would have 9 tasks in addition to the original 4.

Lastly, if you need confirmation from any of them, you might want to write this up as a delegation. A delegation is any time you are waiting on something from someone.

Please let me know if this provided value, or if it missed the mark entirely.

Malcolm
Moderators: claire
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds

About ThinkingRock

ThinkingRock is developed by Avente Pty Ltd, an Australian registered company.

ThinkingRock is not affiliated with or endorsed by the David Allen Company.

Getting Things Done® and GTD® are registered trademarks of the David Allen Company.

Read more about the ThinkingRock team in this interview on the Netbeans website

Get organized Links

We have compiled a list of useful resources if you want to get organized.

Get In Touch

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.